Thursday, April 28, 2011

WCF

WCF was a band from Babylon formed around 1997 by Mike Longo and Brian Funk.  They were an interesting and very melodic band, and they had this crossover thing happening inasmuch as they played with any bands, on any shows... and never really seemed to out of place.  Their music was kind of pop, kind of indie, so they could fit in on Punk shows, Ska shows, emo shows and shows with the poppy sort of thing that would be going on at Mulcahey's or The Downtown.  The band always seemed kind of aloof to it and always just seemed pretty happy just to be playing.

They formed while the members were all in high school and quickly started churning out melodic tunes.  To this day, I don't know what the name WCF means.  I've been told it was an inside joke which really isn't worth repeating, so it shall remain a mystery to the universe. The band included Longo and Funk as well as Tom Gambino on guitar, Dave Ferraro on bass and Dan Lazerek on drums.  I'm pretty sure that Tim Ruggeri from ASOB and Channel 59 and Paulie Wozniak from Mad Circle also both were drumming at some point.  They were usually compared to Weezer, which the music only beared a very mild association with due to both bands being poppy and melodic.  They definitely could have fit in and played more shows with the emo bands of the time, but as I mentioned they just seemed kind of detached.  Or high.  It certainly could have been the latter!

I only saw the band a handful of times.  I think at some church in Babylon and The Rock Lobster in Glen Head.  I remember playing a show with them at Ground Zero and really being blown away by how well they used 3 guitar players and how good they sounded. 

Years later, I was playing a show at Mr. Beery's and the sound guy there gave me the 'What's Up?' nod as if we knew one another.  He did look familiar but I couldn't place him immediately.  A few months go by and while I'm doing this blog, my bassist Bill suggests the band My Summer to play with us at a show and mentions that I may know the singer who also is the sound guy at Beery's.  I checked the stuff out on their bandcamp site (and it is great, by the way) and I realize I know the guy. The singer is Mike Longo. 


WCF broke up in 2000 and I'm not sure what happened to all of the members.  Brian Funk and Dave Ferraro formed Ace Green and and are currently in Project Nairb.  Mike Longo did a lot of solo recordings, and as mentioned formed My Summer in 2005 with Joe Lambiaso from Bookstore.

I had mentioned to Mike that I was doing this blog and I had none of WCF's music and remembered it pretty fondly.  He was glad to help out so, thanks go to Mike for getting me WCF's Who's Listening and their 2000 demos as well.  Enjoy it.

WCF - "Who's Listening" and "WCF 2000"
http://www.mediafire.com/?4h40403zkri4wer

Here is the band's myspace: www.myspace.com/wcf

6 comments:

  1. Reading this blog was a great pleasure in me to learn and acquire some insights in music bands.thanks for having this great masterpiece.


    buy more instagram followers
    ways to get instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  2. like "how can i get followers on
    instagram try http://www.gramcentre.com
    get followers on instagram fast and free"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the helpful information you provide for your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!
    get followers on instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!
    Buy Vine Followers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and include almost all significant info. I would like to look more posts like this….
    Buy USA Youtube Views

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post.Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful specially for those people who love's BAND.Buy keek Likes

    ReplyDelete