Friday, October 8, 2010

The Future Engine

Continuing along with the last post's theme, this was also a pretty short lived band.  I don't know much about them.  I saw them play one time at The Courthouse East in Massapequa in 2003.  I really dug what they were doing.  It's spacey and shoe-gazey.  There's even a cover of My Bloody Valentine's "Come in Alone" on the demo.

For some reason I thought Jon Cox was in the band, but I was recently corrected that it was actually Greg Kubacki on guitar who had previously been in Earth.ling Massive and replaced Jon.  I remember asking Greg if Future Engine wanted to play a show and he had told me that the band was on an indefinite hiatus since he had thrown out his back.  You know you are beginning to get old when your back interferes with your rocking.  I would know.   Months later, I was at a Cave-In show at the Downtown and someone handed me this CD but I'm pretty sure the band had ceased to be at that time.

I can't remember much more and their myspace doesn't provide much more info either: http://www.myspace.com/10982058

In any case, if you like My Bloody Valentine and Radiohead, this is a swell 5-song trip.

The Future Engine - Self-Titled Demo
http://www.mediafire.com/?gil9gox9gfq38vp

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the MySpace page crapped out so I started moving the band info over to https://thefutureengine.bandcamp.com/

    To add onto your blog...

    The origin of the band was a song that Greg and I wrote with Tracy Jorg. Over a few sessions, we fleshed it out with a drummer named Mike whose last name I can't recall. He might have been in Tracy's other band A Day for Honey, but I can't recall exactly. Tracy and Mike thought the song was "WLIR"-ish (their words!) and wanted to go in a more hardcore direction. But Greg and I loved the song and the direction we were taking so we got a rehearsal space in the winter of 2002-03 with Darren Tarrulli on drums (he was also the singer for This Years Model but IMO a better drummer than singer. Very creative and rock solid stylistically without a trace of metal or hardcore influences which was hard to find in our circles at that time). We wrote a lot of the music that ended up on the EP and then some during those sessions. After we auditioned about 20 girl singers, I think that's when Darren had enough. So we turned to Dylan for vocals who was a friend of ours for a long time. He played in a band called Drill Press with Larry our drummer from Neck. He was a natural fit on vocals. And he was sitting on a notebook full of inspired lyrics from a breakup the year before, so the writing came very fluidly. I cannot recall how we met Joe to drum, but Joe was a multi-instrumentalist. As good as he was on drums, he could also sing and play guitar. I believe he fronted an emo band doing just that while he was also drumming in The Future Engine. All a lot of very talented guys (and a gal) who were connected to this band.

    ReplyDelete