Wednesday, September 15, 2010

About this blog

Let's begin, shall we?

Hi.  I'm Jason.  I'm an old fart and I guess I've been around the Long Island Music Scene for quite some time.  Now, I'm not sure that the current scene resembles the LIHC scene from days gone by, but there are a good deal of people who still remember shows at PWAC, Dr. Shay's, Right Track Inn, Deja 1, random American Legion and VFW halls; pretty much anywhere that would allow a show to be booked.  What got us there was music, community and the bands, many of which have long since winked out of existence.  I felt that there needed to be some kind of website where one could find this music.  There have been a few attempts to do this by other bloggers, but it's never been kept up.  I'm sure that if you have enough time to spare and want to make an extreme effort, you could scour the net and find some of the bands that you'd be looking for.  Ultimately, I felt that with the ease of downloading music in today's day and age that there should be a single point where you can find the music from Long Island's storied scene.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know if I'm the right man for the job.  Like I said, I'm old.  I've given away and lent many CDs and tapes out and never gotten them back.  Between moving, purging or being tempermental, I have also tossed things out with no prescience that I would consider setting up a blog dedicated to bands from our scene.  But I feel that someone has to do this.  I welcome any suggestions for posts, and I hope that many people who read this can also send me MP3s to add to the site.

I'll also try to feature some more recent and active bands as well.  This should be a 'common ground' for the LI scene.

With that being said, I want to this blog to focus mainly on bands that you can't readily download.  I won't be posting up links to the next Taking Back Sunday album if it leaks, I'm sure that can be found elsewhere with ease.  I'm not looking to take a buck away from anyone.  If the music is up on Itunes and you can buy it, then I probably will not post it.  If a band wants their music taken down, I'll do so.  But more often than not, I'm hoping that this site provides you with an opportunity to find a band you remember seeing once, or discovering something new.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. I've been staring at the Tetsuo/Edgar split on my bookshelf for so long. This week I was gonna get a usb turntable to start turning some of my old records into mp3's.
    Your blog is great. The downloads are filling in some of my missing records from the PWAC days. Awesome. How about CR or a Warped Weeble Wobbles entry. If i remember correctly the Warped Weeble Wobbles had a tape like the bor/testuo live recording, in addition to the 7 inch.
    Anyway. This is great.

    ReplyDelete